Thursday, July 4, 2013

How to be a homebased blogger

Last June 1, I was invited to be one of the speakers during  iBlog 9: The 9th Philippine Blogging Summit. I discussed about how to be a homebased blogger.

How did I start my job as a homebased blogger?

I started to blog as a hobby from my Tumblr days then shifted to Blogger in August 2011. But when I was offered a post to be a contributing blogger for The Web Magazine in November 2011, I grab the position and turned down a lot of job opportunities. And the rest is history.

As I always said that "Blogging is a passion. It doesn't matter the page ranking but on how dedicated you are blogging your own experiences.". You have to be passionate, driven to achieve your goals as a blogger. Plan your one week of blog posts by doing research, in order for you to do other assigned tasks during the entire week.






At first, I have difficulties working at home. Looking after my mom's mini store here at our house and I have asthma and scoliosis...I have to do multitasking everyday. In November 2011, I started working for three hours from my mobile phone. Then after six months, I bought a second-hand netbook for my own convenience. I'm currently working for more than 14 hours a day, including weekends.



When I received my first paid post assignment as a blogger two years ago, this blog doesn't have a domain. I didn't expect that I was paid more than what they'd told me.

From my first earning as a blogger, I immediately bought my own domain for Eccentric Yet Happy. Since them, I received a lot of tasks from DA (direct advertiser), Social Media projects from companies and PR firms and invites for several events in the Metro.

Unfortunately, I have to turn down several invites from events due to my very hectic schedule. Handling several blogs, integrating Facebook pages and Twitter accounts, doing tasks for my clients and other commitments online (In other words, madaming raket!)

Do I seldom attending events? No. I see to it that I attended events when I have a spare time or I scheduled my meetings so I can cover them and post details here in my blog.

Joining Facebook groups, there's a lot of opportunities there, such as paid post assignments, Social Meda projects and other . I met a lot of bloggers online and offline, and sharing their thoughts on several issues. Facebook groups such as Pinoy Bloggers, Filipino Bloggers Worldwide, Web Geek and other blogger groups on Facebook who  are helping blogger to earn online.

Websites who caters services to bloggers such as Blogvertise, Link Vehicle, PayU2Blog, 199jobs.com and other sites who needs bloggers for their clients. Sign up and they will give you tasks, depending on your niche. There are some sites that they will give you general topics and requires you to finish the article within 24 hours.

If you have high volumes of web traffic on your blog, put an adverts. Aside from Google Adsense, there's a lot of ad networks such as U.S. based Chitika, Nuffnang Philippines, Ambient Digital, Innity and other worthwhile ad network companies who caters Pay-Per-Click ads, which generates earnings when clicking the ads. One thing, follow the TOC of the ad networks. They have rules that there's a limited number of ad on your blog.

If you want to attract DA's and other blogging opportunities, here are some of my tips:


  • Buy a domain for your blog. There are some DAs doesn't want free domain such as blogspot.com and wordpress.com. But there are some DA who entertain free domain hosted blogs.
  • Get noticed by direct advertisers with quality contents. No copy/paste blog post please.
  • If you're posting a press release, see to it that you rewrite them.
And for those who want to learn more about blogging and SEO, join the discussion at Ask Pinoy Bloggers and SEO Organization Philippines' Facebook group. These guys are the coolest peeps I've ever met. They are dedicated to help out other bloggers who want to hone their skills. 

1 comment:

  1. I am inspired by those bloggers who succeeded online and leave their 9-5 job. Been following your group at fb, goodluck to us.

    ReplyDelete

 

Recent Posts

State of the Nation Address 2015: the Fashion Statement

Every year, the State of the Nation Address (SONA) is every much awaited. Not only for the deliberation of the Philippine President Speech or simply President Reports to the public... Read more »